Monday, July 18, 2005

What do we know and when did we know it?

So I ask Tina if she thinks we're ready for a baby. She says, "why, what would we need to do?"

Ay, there's the rub: I don't know. That's why I'm asking! If I knew what needed done, I'd do it. It's what I don't know needs done I'm worried about. As a great man once said, "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

I'm sure in some ways we're as prepared as we can be, and in other ways we're as unprepared as everyone is. I'm probably just a little neurotic, that's all. A few billion people, none of whom is as smart as Tina or as loving as...well, as Tina...have given birth before without totally botching everything. So I'm sure we'll figure it out.

No comments: