Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Boy's names

We're still thinking about names for a boy. Isaac ("he laughs") seems to have entered the fray.

Tina wants a name that sounds like a baby's name as well as one that fits a man. I tend not to worry so much about whether a name sounds like a baby's name. Assuming the regular course of life, he'll be a baby for a few years, then a child, then a teenager - then an adult for three or four times as long as all that time (baby-through-teen) put together. So 75-80% of his life will be adulthood.

When I think of kids, I think of them as future adults. So every minute ought to be preparation for a life of adulthood, responsibility for others, etc. Maybe I shouldn't do so much of that, so I can help my kids enjoy being a kid. I never really enjoyed being a kid, because it seemed like all it was was restrictions and having to wait. It doesn't have to be that way, and I don't want it to be that way. I suppose I'll just have to learn to balance preparation for adulthood with protection from the evils of the world and with immersion in the joys of the world.

And boy, do I want to home-school. But that's a whole 'nother argument.

No comments: