Saturday, May 14, 2005

Overheard at Olive Garden

The worst snippet of conversation I can imagine coming from a woman (and this not a week after Mother's Day):

Self-centered vainglorious middle-ager 1: "When my ex-husband left me, my son was six years old and he couldn't sleep for three years. He kept calling out for his Daddy all night long."

Self-centered vainglorious middle-ager 2: "That must have been traumatic for you, too."

Self-centered vainglorious middle-ager 1: "Well, I got the house."

All: Laughter, of the "you're-so-naughty-clever" type.

Me, under my breath: "Ever wonder why he left you?"

Now, the issue isn't whether she got the house from him. That's just stereotypical divorcee stuff. The issue is that she completely totally ignored the opportunity to express even the slightest bit of distress that her young son suffered. Instead, it was an opportunity for her to focus on the one thing that matters most to her: her.

Dear Father in Heaven, I beg of you that I never ever ever act or think that way.

No comments: