Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Doggie update

The dog started her vomiting again, so she's back on antibiotics (for a month, not just 2 weeks this time) and is on a "novel protein" diet. The vet at Michigan State recommended Eukanuba Response KO, the K and O standing in for "Kangaroo" and "Oat." Indeedy.

Apparently, the idea is that poor Snicks may have developed an allergy to something in the Iams she's been eating for, oh, about 8 years, two meals a day...lotsa Iams. I guess (this is news to me) it's not uncommon for dogs who eat the same thing for all that long to get allergies somehow. So, if she has indeed developed an allergy, we need to get her eating something that's not in the food she's allergic to. And, to be sure, there's no kangaroo in Iams Weight Control Large Breed.

I didn't really need to pay over $2 a pound for dog food (Meijer usually has steak on sale for less than that!) just to get her on something "novel." So I'm trying Nature's Recipe Vegetarian food, for under a buck a lb. I got a free sample from Pet Supplies Plus of a different veggie blend, and the dog just loved it. So I went with the Nature's Recipe. I gave her her meds in a bit of the canned variety and she went nutso, even moreso than she did for the canned Iams she got her pills in last time. So I'm guessing she likes the veggie diet. Unfortunately, now she'll probably start voting Democrat and wearing hemp or something. I never trust vegetarians. It's just not natural not to eat meat.

No comments: