Tuesday, September 13, 2005

By the way

I read over what I wrote and I went from "she can cry all she wants" to "this crying is tough to take." I realize that there are people who have it much worse, with real life-threatening problems or no money or no family who'll help and all sorts of other things. And I'm conscious and grateful to the good Lord that all in all, we have it just about perfect. Some crying isn't the end of the world.

That said, God did tune my ears and her vocal cords perfectly. I've sat in the tunnel-like frontstretch at Indianapolis Motor Speedway while 900-horsepower Formula One machines ripped by at full throttle, and I've seen Metallica and Van Halen twice each and Guns 'N Roses (remember them?) in concert, and I have never felt a sound in my ears the way I felt that anguished wail. It's way beyond hearing it. It's a physical pressure that drills deep into my head. Tina doesn't seem as sensitive to it as I am.

Happily, I think the worst of it shouldn't be back as often as we heard it before, now that she's getting enough food to be generally pretty happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going back and reading what you already wrote is a good thing to do. Many times your tone and meaning at one moment in time can be taken differently than originally intended when read in the current moment.