Friday, January 21, 2005

Conception vs. adoption

Tina had a comment: people seem happier that we've conceived than that we were adopting. I must admit I'm not surprised. It might be a natural bias - a new life vs. an existing one. But it is worth thinking about - is adoption somehow second-best? Or are people more surprised/happy because they (and we) all figured we couldn't have a child naturally, so this is a big shock?

I think people are mostly surprised, but there is probably less of a natural reaction to adopting. Everybody was very supportive and encouraging (well, almost everybody - but I won't name names) of the adoption. But there wasn't the same face-lighting-up smile.

We will adopt at some point. I'm probably happy with one natural child (one more than I thought we'd have) but, as we've seen, it's not in our hands. We'll have to see where God leads us and go from there.

No comments: