Saturday, January 08, 2005

Names

So here are the first names we're thinking about if we have a boy. His middle name shall be Reagan. (By imperial diktat, a girl shall be named Elizabeth Lee.) These are in no particular order:

  • Josiah: "God has healed." My personal favorite. A great king of Judah, who restored the One True God of Israel, drove out the false gods and idols, and gave his life to defend his land from invading Egyptians. Tina's not crazy about it, but I think the meaning and the namesake are ideal for us.
  • Nathaniel: "God's gift."
  • Jeremiah: "God will raise up."
  • Simon: "God hears" or "It is heard"
  • Samuel: "Hand of God." He bridged the gap between the judges and the kings of Israel. His mother prayed to God for him and her prayer was answered, and in thanks she gave him over to serve the Lord.
  • Daniel: "Judged by God."
  • Benjamin: "Son of my right hand." Gets a nice blessing from Moses but a nasty one from his dad Jacob.

All OT names except Simon, yes. I really do like Josiah, but I'm not sure if I'm being selfish. It's sort of a cross between Joseph and Isaiah. Nicknames could be Joe, Josey (as in the Outlaw Josey Wales), Joey, Josey (with and "s" sound rather than a "z" sound), Josephus, Josebo...OK, those last 2 are what I would call the cat if he were named Josiah. But I'll probably come up with something goofy no matter what, because somehow I love goofy names.I already gave up dreams of naming him Malachi or Mordecai. Our next dogs get those names though, I guarantee.

No comments: