Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Girls' names

I've never given much thought to girls' names, there not having been the slightest point in doing so. I kinda like Sarai (Sarah's name before the LORD renamed her Sarah, when he renamed Abram to Abraham), but I don't think that'll have much traction.

I also kinda like Priscilla, who was one of Paul's acquaintances and was of much help to him. But I think that'll be "Prissy," so I can forget right about that one too. See, this is why I don't think about them much.

Maybe Laura, for the First Lady, who totally rocks, or Barbara, for the prior First Lady, who also rocks. (The "Lady" status of the interim White House Spouse is debatable.) Or Margaret, for Lady Thatcher, who out-rocks them all (also my Grandma, of course, but that would bring about inequity with other children not named for relatives).

Two names I liked that were used by relatives: Victoria and Samantha.

I also like Valerie, which Tina says isn't very traditional, and why do I like traditional names for boys but not girls? I think girls (and women, which girls will grow up to be and spend much more time as, ideally) can get away with a lot more in the way of variety. As in clothes and hair and jewelry, so in names, I guess. Plus, I think of Valerie as from Valerian (a truly glorious name I love but wouldn't dare use for a boy - too much like Valerie and thus too feminine today), and he was a Roman emperor, and that's at least old, if not strictly traditonal.

Trendy boys' names can be so feminizing and fruity - Tyler, and Jordan, and Austin. I certainly don't like really trendy girls' names, Kylie and Caitlyn and Halee and Jasmine in all its various misspellings. And, there were many fewer Biblical women, and many of them were checkered at best.

Leah is a nice enough name, but with Lee as a family middle name, I'm not holding out hope. I did always like the Catholic Mary Something names: Mary Catherine, Mary Margaret, etc. But maybe it was actually the plaid skirts I liked.

No comments: