Saturday, January 08, 2005

OK, big news

So I walked the dog the other day (Thursday, Jan 6, 2005 to be exact). When I came back home, Tina looked at me from the dining room table and said, "Hi, Daddy."

Now, the dog obviously knows me as Daddy (what proper dog doesn't call its daddy Daddy?), so at first I thought nothing of it and said, "Hi, Mommy," right back.

Tina said again, in that there's-something-to-this way, "Hi Daddy."

I got it this time. For, you see, she had been, shall we say, delayed a bit in her regular menstrual machinations, and was suspecting pregnancy. And, well, you see, she'd caught it. She had tested when I went on the walk and had of course tested positive.

Well.

That certainly made the adoption more complicated. We had a meeting scheduled the next day with Bethany, the adoption agency, which was to be the beginning of the adoption thing. So we called and left a message for our caseworker, the very nice Mary, to see what to do about it.

We also had this adoption story hanging over us with everybody we knew. Like our Bible study group, which met Thursday night, and my friend Alex, and our families - everybody knew this meeting was going to be Friday. And of course Tina wants to tell her mom and sisters she's pregnant in person, and you don't want to tell anyone too soon...so what to do?

We went to the Bible study group and just played it like we were going to the meeting. When we got home, Mary'd left a message saying let's just hold off on the meeting and concentrate on one thing at a time. So now there's no meeting to tell anyone about. We need a good lie.

We decide to say the meeting was rescheduled for 2 weeks because Bethany had a power outage due to snow and ice. Reasonable enough - it's winter in Michigan, and snow and ice happen with dismaying regularity. But we still need to play it off until we can tell people.

I'll need to re-title the blog here when I can post stuff - that is, when the news becomes public.

No comments: